John & Susan (Rose) Dorr Scholarship
The Dorrs', who both grew up in Zanesville, attribute much of their success to the local people and organizations that helped them early on. They want to give something back to the community and hope their former classmates will do the same.
''We hope to encourage other Zanesville and Maysville alumni to join us in giving back in memory of those who went before us and helped us achieve our dreams,'' John said. ''We are proud of our Dorr and Rose heritages and our Zanesville area roots. Therefore, as part of our legacy, we want to show our appreciation and encourage others to help improve the future foundation of Zanesville.''
After graduating from Zanesville High School in 1964, John worked at Western Electric in Columbus and attended Ohio University, receiving a Bachelor's Degree in Business in 1968. Susan, a 1966 graduate of Maysville High School, started her work career with the Pugh Family, owners of Pioneer Electric, while she encouraged John to pursue his educational dreams.
After marrying in 1971, the Dorrs' moved to Columbus where John continued his career with Western Electric. He attended Xavier University in Cincinnati on Saturdays and received his Master of Business Degree in 1973. He then spent many years working at Ryder Truck Transportation in Columbus. He became District Manager of Central Ohio, which included Zanesville. He was eventually promoted to President of Ryder Public Transportation, leading the national privatized school bus and public transit businesses throughout the United States.
After Ryder sold the Public Transportation Division in 1999, John left the company and later became the CEO of The Habegger Corporation in Cincinnati, a family-owned wholesale distributor of heating and cooling products. John guided the company's growth to over 30 locations, including Zanesville, and mentored its 3rd generation family President and young management team.
Since retiring in 2015, John has become a business advisor and board member for several Ohio private family-owned companies.
''We have seen people stay in their hometowns and enjoy lives while others like us leave and move around the U.S. One thing we realized was no matter where we live , we shouldn't forget from where we came nor how others helped us along our journey,'' John said.
- • All applicants MUST be Muskingum County residents
- • All applicants MUST be graduates of Zanesville High School, Maysville High School, or West Muskingum High School
- • Applicants MUST be accepted at an Ohio College or University and are required to major in business, nursing or education OR be accepted at an Ohio Skilled Trade Tech School for HVAC.
- • Include a copy of your high school and/or college transcript to date. Student’s GPA MUST be included on all transcripts. GPA must be at least 2.75.
- • Include a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- • Students are required to be accepted at an accredited university/college or Skilled Trade Tech School within the state of Ohio.
- • All parts of the application must be Truthful, Accurate, and Complete to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for scholarships. An asterisk (*) after a question means that it is required and must be completed to submit your application.
534 Putnam Avenue
Zanesville, OH 43701
Phone: (740) 453-5192
Application & Information Print PDF View Fund & Donate