Wanted: GEAR UP Site Director
Posted on 11/17/2014
The GEAR UP Ohio project was conceived and designed as a partnership between the Ohio Board of Regents (OBR) and College Now Greater Cleveland (College Now) as a logical approach to increase college and career attainment in Ohio by uniting statewide initiatives with College Now’s extensive college access experience. Scholarship Central Access Program, the Ohio Board of Regents (OBR), College Now Greater Cleveland (College Now) and the Muskingum County Community Foundation are partnering for the GEAR UP Ohio project (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) starting in the 2014-15 school year.
The GEAR UP Ohio project is an effort to increase college and career attainment in Ohio by uniting statewide initiatives with College Now’s extensive college access experience. Scholarship Central and The Muskingum County Community Foundation will be working with Crooksville Intermediate School and Crooksville High School to 1) increase the academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education for GEAR UP OHIO students, 2) increase the rates of high school graduation and enrollment in postsecondary education for GEAR UP OHIO students, 3) increase GEAR UP OHIO students’ and their families’ knowledge of postsecondary options, preparation and financing and 4) ensure that GEAR UP OHIO consortia will become self-sustaining; develop civic participation in their programs and spread awareness and replication in other schools and communities.
POSITION TITLE: Site Director, GEAR UP
STANDARD HOURS: 40 hours/week, occasional evening and weekend hours
REPORTS TO: MCCF CEO
The GEAR UP Site Director is primarily responsible for oversight, direction, and support of the GEAR UP program, which is designed to help students aspire to, prepare for, enroll in, find sources to pay for, and graduate from postsecondary education.
In addition, the Site Director will ensure that all program efforts meet the needs of students and families as well as the GEAR UP grant requirements.
Program Planning and Management
- Develop a strong, productive relationship with the designated school district where GEAR UP programs and services will be primarily delivered.
- Manage the establishment of the GEAR UP program within a local community in Ohio, including the school districts, higher education and other community partners.
- Lead the GEAR UP team: provide supervision, leadership, and training to GEAR UP advisors.
- Execute high quality college access and success programming for students and families.
- Work closely with the Statewide GEAR UP Program Director and the College Now Technical Assistance team to establish strategic partnerships, advising plans, and short- and long-term goals.
- Participate in continuing education, attend seminars and conferences, and maintain professional contacts win the community to remain knowledgeable of current college access and success best practices.
Outreach and Advocacy
- Seek, recognize, and utilize opportunities to promote GEAR UP site’s services through community outreach.
- Serve as a student advocate through: communication with colleges and universities; communication with parents, collaboration with schools; and communication and cooperation with outside scholarship programs.
- Formulate and manage a community outreach plan to educate the local community on college readiness, access and persistence to completion issues.
Data and Budget Management
- Work with the College Now Technical Assistance team to formulate a reporting plan for the GEAR UP Site.
- Ensure accuracy of tracked services by Advisors and adhere to strict confidentiality in student record keeping.
- Manage the budget for the GEAR UP program, including: budget planning and submission of an annual budget for approval, monitoring and overseeing expenses, and ensuring that expenditures and accountability adhere to the highest standards of fiscal integrity.
Bachelor’s degree in Education, Counseling, Student Personnel, Business Administration or related field. Minimum five years of experience working in the field of student support services or related area. Professional experience must include working with adolescents; GEAR UP experience preferred. Experience in non-profit work environment, marketing, program and resource development. Ability to partner with agencies and institutions of higher learning. Familiarity with the GEAR UP community is highly desirable. Experience working in a team environment with a collaborative focus. Strategic thinking and proactive decision making highly valued. Must have excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills, and experience in marketing educational services to targeted populations. Must also be knowledgeable of financial aid process, regulations, and compliance. Experience with academic, career planning and educational/career opportunities, and assessment tools. Evidence of skills and ability to utilize technology.
Please send cover letter, resume and recommendations to firstname.lastname@example.org.